Voting Rights Amendment Act
Clyburn and Colleagues Call for House Action on Voting Rights Legislation (March 28, 2014)
Clyburn Statement on Introduction of the Voting Rights Amendment Act of 2014 (January 16, 2014)
Clyburn Statement On Shelby County v. Holder Decision (June 25, 2013)
Voter Empowerment Act
The Voter Empowerment Act has been designed to modernize the American electoral system by providing improved access to the ballot, enhanced integrity in our voting systems and greater accountability for the administration of our elections.
Voter Empowerment Act Bill Text
Voter Empowerment Act Fact Sheet
Voter Empowerment Act Fast Facts
Voter Empowerment Act Press:
- CBS News: Democrats push back against voter ID laws President Obama and Democrats in Congress are pushing back against the new voter identification laws and requirements that Republican-led states have been busy implementing across the country.
- CNN: House Democrats push bill to expand access to ballot box
Six months before a national election whose results could hinge on which party turns out more supporters, House Democrats unveiled legislation Thursday they say is needed to ensure all eligible voters have unfettered access to the ballot box.
- Roll Call: Democrats Push Voting Rights Bill
House Democrats on Thursday unveiled new voting rights legislation designed to modernize voter registration while cracking down on practices that could discourage certain populations from voting.
The Voter Empowerment Act appears to be a direct counter to a growing movement within the GOP at the state and national level to require voters to present a photo ID when voting.
- The Nation: Democrats Counter GOP Voting Restrictions House Democrats responded to the wave of new voting restrictions by introducing a comprehensive new bill yesterday, “The Voter Empowerment Act,” aimed at expanding voting rights for all Americans, Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike. “The ability to vote should be easy, accessible and simple,” said Representative John Lewis, a civil rights hero who cosponsored the legislation with House Democratic whip Steny H. Hoyer, Assistant Democratic Leader James Clyburn, Representative John Conyers and Representative Robert Brady
- Talk Radio News Service: House Dems Unveil Voter Empowerment Act
House Democrats Thursday unveiled their plans for The Voter Empowerment Act, an act designed in response to recent state legislations that impede voting rights for millions of Americans.
The motivation for the act is sixteen states that have recently introduced measures that that end same-day voter registration and create obstacles to other voter registration opportunities. Nine states have also introduced bills preventing early voting and four states have enacted it. The Voter Empowerment Act is designed to modernize registration systems and provide protections that include a national hotline to report corrective actions of voting issues and a mandate for paper copy verifications from voting machines
- TheGrio: House Democrats push 'Voter Empowerment Act' A group of Democrats, including House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland and Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, are pushing a bill say would make it easier for Americans to register to vote and reverse restrictions on early voting passed by Republican legislatures in some states.